July 20 - August 14
Social learning leadership I
State-of-the-art: principles, practice, and research
4 weeks | July 20 – August 14, 2020
Approx 6 hours per week
a BEtreat workshop
A solid foundation in
the art and principles of social learning
Why social learning leadership matters
Social learning is about learning from and with peers. It is a learning partnership – whether you call it a community of practice, a learning network, or a social learning space. It is particularly important when what you need to know is not yet known. And you have to learn on the go, adjusting and improving in response to what you are finding out in practice. Your learning is improved by what your your peers are learning in their own practice.
As a species we have been doing this forever. But we can become more intentional about it. We can cultivate these learning partnerships in communities of practice or social learning spaces to develop the overall strategic capability of our group, organization, or field.
Who should join
This workshop is for you if you want to develop your capacity to enable social learning—whether you are a manager, an activist, a consultant, a teacher, or organizational development specialist. The online format lends itself to exploring how to do this online. We also welcome people who are doing research on communities of practice, learning in networks or organization, identity, or emerging forms of leadership.
What we focus on
In this workshop we share the models and frameworks we have developed to cultivate, lead, sponsor and evaluate social learning. We also work as a community to help you apply these models to your practice or project.
- Sharing a language: social learning spaces, networks, communities of practice, landscapes of practice, value-creation framework.
- Framing your challenge: articulate your context, visualize your challenge, engage the whole group in your inquiry.
- Taking a lead: exploring and acting out different social learning leadership roles and tasks on behalf of the whole group.
- Monitoring and articulating the value: how does what you do create value, how do you monitor and promote that value, and what does this mean for learning to make a difference?
- Exploring tools for social learning: becoming adept at using the tools and technologies that help you lead social learning activities online.
How it unfolds
The workshop takes place in a carefully designed communal online space. You also build your own space where you can invite colleagues to see something of your context and to engage in chatting or thinking with you.
Interactions are is a mix of synchronous conversations (e.g., on Zoom or Skype) and and collaboration (e.g., on Mural or Google docs) as well as asynchronous interactions (e.g., in a discussion forum).
We all meet synchronously as a whole group 2-4 times a week, for a total of around 5 hours per week. The rest of the time is for small-group work as well as individual consultations and reflections.
Each week is focused on a theme:
Week 1 – Getting on the same page:
- Sharing a language: foundations of theory and practice
- What is everyone trying to achieve?
- How can we help each other?
Week 2 – Creating value:
- The value-creation framework
- How to use the framework to create and assess value
- Shaping a value proposition
Week 3 – The discipline of design
- The art of designing for social learning
- Key learning activities
- How to launch a community of practice
- The use of technology
Week 4 – Your leadership:
- The art of social learning leadership
- What kind of social learning leader am I?
- What have I learned and where I am going next?
Price and discounts
- Early bird, if paid by July 1: $960
- Teams of three or more people from the same organization: $960 per person
Limited number of partial scholarships available for people who circumstances make our prices prohibitive. Contact us.
Register and pay now
You can pay here by credit card using our secure server. Clicking on “Add to cart” will open a cart window where you can enter your payment information. Then fill out the registration form below. We will be in touch with you for further details.
Subscribe to our bulletin
If you are interested to keep up with news about our workshops, including notifications about early bird deadlines
Grass Valley, California
(+351) 962 298 800
(+1) 530 205 3231